Tuesday, 22 December 2009

English Christmas traditions

Mulled wine and mince tarts are the staples of the season. I miss eggnog, which is not sold here. I haven't seen any signs of shortbread or gingerbread cookies just the traditional fruit Christmas cake, Christmas pudding and mulled wine.

Last Sunday we had a 9 lessons and carols service in the evening at the parish. It was so cold!! With outside temperatures hovering just below the 0 degrees Celsius and a church with a vast high ceiling, it was pretty chilly. Let's just say almost everyone was wearing coats and that's with the heat on. Although I'm not a fan of mulled wine, a warm drink hit the spot afterwards and I do love a mince tart.

Christmas seems just the little bit less commercial and tacky here in the UK. Yes, the mall is crazy busy but not quite as over-the-top as in North America. But as our English friends tell us, everything American eventually comes across the pond.

This is our gingerbread house: smaller than the ones in kits at home, like everything else in England!

Happy Christmas! (They don't say "Merry" over here).

No comments:

Post a Comment